6 Secrets to Landing the Perfect Creative Agency Job
Jobs in creative agencies are fast-paced, creatively charged, and full of energy; if you land one, you’ll quickly accelerate your learning and pick up new skills. What’s it like to work in a creative agency? What do top agencies look for in their creative hires?
I. The Creative Hiring Process is Different
Degrees and experience obviously help, but there is no set path to getting into a creative agency. Most smaller agencies don’t have well-defined hiring processes, so getting a job there requires doing your homework and following instructions.
II. Understand Agency Life
What do agencies do, and what kind of life will you have if you work for one? These questions will help you better prepare for the job ahead. Big agencies with big clients give you stability and fatter paychecks, but your creative freedom is limited. Boutique agencies are nimbler and serve smaller clients, but they give you more creative freedom.
III. Look in the Right Places
Instead of going to Monster, look for open positions on these platforms, which range from copywriting to design. There are dozens of other creative job-hunting platforms out there.
IV. Register With a Staffing Firm for Part-Time Jobs
Staffing firms are one of the creative industry’s best-kept secrets. Creatives register with the firm and indicate their availability as well as job preferences; when an agency has a suitable opportunity, the staffing firm contacts the creative and invites them to submit an application.
1. Your portfolio matters
Showing diversity in your work across mediums and industries will give you an edge over your peers. Reorganize your portfolio to include your best work at the beginning and end of each sequence. Use portfolio platforms like Dribble to share your work.
2. Write a better cover letter
Always remember the two P’s u2013 personalization and proofreading. No one likes a generic cover letter with a dozen spelling mistakes.
3. Mind the requirements
When applying for an agency job, there are two things you should never overlook. If you can’t read the application instructions, you’re wasting both your and the employer’s time. Employers will disregard great applications if they don’t follow the instructions. Don’t attach a PDF, send an email, or fill out a form.
VI. Market Yourself Online
Is it a Twitter profile from 2013 that people see when they Google your name, or a thriving blog where you’ve shared your thoughts on design, creativity, and agencies? Whatever you tweet, write, and share adds to your resume.
1. Evaluate where you currently stand
Making a list of the top ten search terms for each of these search terms is the first step in creating a strong online presence. Your goal is to craft an online presence that gives employers insight into your thinking, skills, and experience.
2. Contribute content to prominent sites
Starting by creating a profile on Workamajobs and applying to the world’s top creative agencies, and making sure to look on the right platforms, there is no set path to landing a creative agency job. Instead, they look for a good cultural fit and a solid set of skills.
How does a creative agency work?
A great creative agency, in essence, combines branding and communications with digital marketing and graphic design to help businesses engage a wider audience through their marketing channels, whether it’s through commercials, social media, print ads, or events.
How do I get a creative job?
Apply, Interview, and Apply Again
- Know what you’re passionate about.
- Know people who are passionate about it (who may know people who are hiring).
- Know a lot about the topic and have developed your skills enough for a resume.
How do you become an agency?
- Step 1: Determine the services your agency will provide.
- Step 2: Determine whether you want to focus on a niche.
- Step 3: Select a location for your agency’s headquarters.
- Step 4: Give your agency a name.
- Step 5: Establish your creative agency structure and begin hiring.
- Step 6: Determine your creative agency fee structure.
How do you approach a creative agency?
How to approach a design firm for a graphic design position
- Find and use contacts.
- Be personal in your approach.
- Write a friendly but professional email.
- Make your work relevant.
- Keep your portfolio simple.
- Check it, recheck it, and recheck it again.
What services do creative agencies offer?
While some creative agencies specialize in one area over another, they usually offer the following services:
- Annual Reports. Case Studies. Blogs and Articles.
- Communications Services. Media Buys. Paid Placement.
- Measurement and Analysis.
How much do creative agencies make?
Salary at a Creative Agency
|Annual Salary||Monthly Pay|
What are high-paying creative jobs?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the following are the four highest-paying jobs in the art and design fields:
- Industrial Designers.
- Multimedia Artists and Animators.
- Fashion Designers.
- Media and Communications Jobs.
- Technical Writers.
- Writers and Authors.
- Film and Video Editors.
- Media and Communications Jobs.
What is a good career for a creative person?
The best jobs for creative people
- Interior designer.
- Marketing manager.
- Makeup artist.
- Industrial designer.
- Advertising manager.
- Tattoo artist.
What creative careers pay well?
According to The Creative Group’s 2021 Salary Guide, here are a few high-paying creative jobs:
- Marketing director.
- Front-end web developer.
- Advertising account director.
- PR director.
- User experience (UX) designer.
What is an agency example?
The definition of an agency is a group of people who perform a specific task or who assist others in some way; for example, a travel agency takes care of all the details for a person planning a trip.
How do you manage an agency?
Managing Your Marketing Agency: Some Pointers
- Set expectations for updates, reporting, and input levels.
- Create clearly defined goals — and check in on them frequently.
- Trust your marketing agency’s expertise.
- Expect a little give and take.
- Share your industry findings.
How do I start a talent agency?
Follow these 9 steps to start a talent agency:
- STEP 1: Create a business plan.
- STEP 2: Create a legal entity.
- STEP 3: Register for taxes.
- STEP 4: Open a business bank account and credit card.
- STEP 5: Set up business accounting.
- STEP 6: Obtain necessary permits and licenses.
- STEP 7: Get business insurance.
What do you look for in a creative agency?
6 Ways to Choose the Best Creative Agency
- Know what you want to accomplish.
- Look for someone who works in your industry.
- Look for proven results.
- Ask if they share their expertise.
- Look at their own content.
- Interview at least three agencies.
How do I email a design agency?
To sum up my recommendations for contacting a design agency, here are my top recommendations:
- Keep your folio small and perfect.
- Research the person and the agency.
- Use the person’s name.
- Make sure your tone is appropriate.
- Show you’ve done your homework on the agency.
- Explain why you’d be a good fit for a placement.
How do I choose a branding agency?
Select the top two or three agencies for final presentations and interviews from a long list of five to ten agencies that look interesting. Narrow down the list to three to five agencies that feel like a good fit. Request and review their proposals.