How to Become a Substitute Teacher
- Earn a bachelor’s degree.
- Apply for a substitute teaching license, if required in your state.
- Take the tests required for substitute teacher licensure, if necessary.
- Once you are licensed, apply to your local school district’s substitute teacher pool.
How do substitute teachers get paid?
Substitute teachers usually make a daily wage that, at full-time hours, amounts to about $25,000 to $40,000 on average per year. The amount depends on the school or district. However, most substitute teachers do not have a consistent schedule and do not work full-time.
Is being a substitute teacher easy?
Substitute teaching is a very challenging job—even full-time teachers will admit that. It’s near impossible to walk into a room full of strangers and expect they’ll respect you, listen to you, and behave nicely!
How often do you work as a substitute teacher?
Every substitute teaching job is different. Sometimes you’ll simply look after a class while they watch a movie or complete an assignment that their regular teacher left for them. Other days you will follow a detailed lesson plan. Your work day will typically last six to seven hours, ending when the students go home.
Is substitute teaching worth it?
Substitute teaching is an excellent career opportunity for many types of people, but it isn’t for everyone. Schools are always in need of qualified substitute teachers, so as long as you have a Bachelor’s degree, no criminal record, and are good with children, you will likely be hired.
Can you make a living as a substitute teacher?
One can assume $1400 * 9 = $12,600 as a yearly salary in substitute teaching, but you have to take into account the times of the year when teachers are not taking days off. So someone who is put into a classroom to substitute teach is making roughly ¼ of the salary the regular teacher is making.
What should substitute teachers bring with them?
Here are the some of the top things that you should have in your substitute teacher bag to get you through the day.
- Behavior Management Supplies. Without their regular teacher in the room, students have a tendency to act out.
- Lesson Plans.
- School Supplies.
- Personal Items.
Do substitute teachers get paid daily?
There is a shortage of substitute teachers. A minimum of a high school diploma is needed, but a person substituting for more than 19 days needs a certificate. Substitute pay rates vary from district to district. Pay rates with certification generally range from $100-$125 daily; without certification, $75-$80 daily.
How do substitute teachers get respect?
How to get Students to Respect You as a Substitute Teacher
- Get respect as a substitute by asking students what they want to be called.
- Gain respect as a substitute by introducing yourself.
- Have high expectations.
- Answer questions or refer to “experts”.
- Move around!
- Get Respect as a Substitute by Being Prepared.