Tips For Night Shift Workers
- Take an hour or so to relax after work, whether it is day or nighttime.
- Eat meals at the same time each day seven days a week.
- Eat high protein foods (vegetables, peanut butter on crackers, fruit, etc) to keep you alert.
- Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages before bedtime.
Can you work night shift and be healthy?
People who work shifts sometimes skip meals, eat irregularly, eat unhealthy food, and may find it hard to keep up a regular exercise schedule. Shift workers are at higher risk for weight gain and heart disease as well. Healthy eating and exercise help improve your sleep and your overall health.
What is best vitamins for working on night shift?
Based on numerous studies, night shift workers should consider taking 2000-5000 IU/d vitamin D3 and raising serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels to 40-60 ng/ml. This may help to compensate for the effects on bone density of reduced sun exposure.
What should I eat when working night shift?
Here Are Some Healthy Options For Night Shift Workers:
- Fresh fruit and vegetable juices.
- Seasonal fruits and vegetables.
- Wholegrain breads with hummus.
- Dry cereals and grain salads such as couscous, quinoa, bulgur and barley.
- Dry roasted nuts.
- Trail mix.
- Cottage cheese.
- Fruit shakes made with low-fat milk.
Do night shifts shorten your life?
Of the women who worked rotating night shifts for more than six years, 11 percent experienced a shortened lifespan. Risk of death by cardiovascular disease jumped by 19 percent for those who worked this way for six to 14 years and by 23 percent for those who did so for 15 years or more.