Tips for exercising with asthma
- Warm up first.
- Try to breathe through the nose as much as possible.
- Wear a scarf or mask over the nose and mouth in cold weather.
- Avoid outdoor exercise when pollen counts are high if allergies are present with asthma.
- Avoid exercising outdoors if air pollution is high.
How does exercise trigger asthma?
Because people tend to breathe through their mouths when they exercise, they are inhaling colder and drier air. In exercise-induced asthma, the muscle bands around the airways are sensitive to these changes in temperature and humidity and react by contracting, which narrows the airway.
How can I strengthen my lungs with asthma?
To practice diaphragmatic breathing, lie on your back with your knees bent and a pillow under your knees, or sit up straight in a chair. Place one hand flat on your upper chest and the other hand on your stomach. Breathe in slowly through your nose.
How do you beat asthma with exercise?
Here are some practical things you can do if you have exercise-induced asthma:
- Use asthma medications.
- Breathe through a scarf.
- Avoid exercising outdoors in frigid temperatures.
- Wait until any colds or sickness subside before you exercise.
- Do 10-minute warm-ups and cool-downs.