What is a pivot table and what is it used for?
A pivot table is a data summarization tool that is used in the context of data processing.
Pivot tables are used to summarize, sort, reorganize, group, count, total or average data stored in a database.
It allows its users to transform columns into rows and rows into columns.
How do I read a pivot table?
How to Read a Pivot Table
- Open any spreadsheet or other document containing a pivot table.
- Sort and view data by the page field.
- View column fields at the top of the pivot table.
- View data items in the body of the pivot table.
- View grand totals or summaries in the “Total” or “Grand Total” rows and columns.
How do you create a pivot table?
Creating a Pivot Table
- Select any cell in the source data table.
- On the Ribbon, click the Insert tab.
- In the Tables group, click Recommended PivotTables.
- In the Recommended PivotTables window, scroll down the list, to see the suggested layouts.
- Click on the layout that you want to use, then click OK.
Why is it called a pivot table?
A Pivot Table lets you rotate the data summary and look ar it from different Angles or perspectives. A Pivot Table allows you to move the fields easily, nest fields within each other, and even create new groups of items. That’s why an Excel Pivot Table is called ‘Pivot’ Table.
What are VLOOKUPs used for?
VLOOKUP is an Excel function to lookup and retrieve data from a specific column in table. VLOOKUP supports approximate and exact matching, and wildcards (* ?) for partial matches. The “V” stands for “vertical”. Lookup values must appear in the first column of the table, with lookup columns to the right.
How do I make a spreadsheet?
There are 3 ways to create a new spreadsheet in Google Sheets:
- Click the red “NEW” button on your your Google Drive dashboard and select “Google Sheets”
- Open the menu from within a spreadsheet and select “File > New Spreadsheet”
- Click “Blank” or select a template on the Google Sheets homepage.
How can I create a database in Excel?
Excel Magic Trick #184: Setup Database in Excel –
How can I create a table in Excel?
Creating a Table within Excel
- Open the Excel spreadsheet.
- Use your mouse to select the cells that contain the information for the table.
- Click the “Insert” tab > Locate the “Tables” group.
- Click “Table”.
- If you have column headings, check the box “My table has headers”.
- Verify that the range is correct > Click [OK].
What is pivot table with example?
A pivot table usually consists of row, column and data (or fact) fields. In this case, the column is Ship Date, the row is Region and the data we would like to see is (sum of) Units. These fields allow several kinds of aggregations, including: sum, average, standard deviation, count, etc.