How to Get a Job as a Personal Trainer with No Experience | ISSA
Breaking into the fitness industry isn’t as difficult as you might think; it’s best to get a personal training certification first, but you should be able to get your first job without it with a little networking, persistence, and a good resume.
How to Get a Job as a Personal Trainer with No Experience – 5 Best Tips
If you’re turned down for a job because you don’t have the necessary experience, don’t give up; experience is important, but it shouldn’t keep enthusiastic new trainers out of the industry. Keep trying, gain experience with friends and family, and you’ll get your first job.
1. Break into the Fitness Industry with the Right Certification
Many gyms will hire certified trainers for entry-level positions because certification reduces your liability in the event that a client is injured, and you’ll earn more as a certified trainer in the long run. There are many other reasons to start with a certification.
2. Write a Great Resume
If asked directly, be honest about your lack of experience, but don’t offer it up right away; instead, focus on the positive to highlight what you have done, not what you haven’t.
3. Start Networking Now – Take All the Exercise Classes
Attending classes in as many gyms as possible is a great way to network. Introduce yourself to the instructors and tell them about your training; they can give you advice, alert you to opportunities, and circulate your name among employers. Fitness-focused events and groups are the most important.
4. How to Get a Job as a Personal Trainer with No Experience? Big Gyms
Trainers with no experience can find work at gyms; your best bet is to target big box gyms; some will provide some training, while others will simply observe you for the first class and then let you dive in on your own.
5. Search for Entry-Level Jobs
It’s not impossible to find a personal trainer job that doesn’t require experience; some gyms will hire trainers with no experience for entry-level positions. Personal trainers don’t have to work in gyms; consider online personal training or these alternative careers to put your training certification to work.
Create Your Own Experience While Job Hunting
Offer to work with friends or family members as you earn your personal trainer certification, either in person or online. The ISSA’s Certified Personal Trainer u2013 Self-Guided Study Program teaches you all the basics you need to get started in the fitness industry.
Can you work in a gym without qualifications?
If you work in a gym without any qualifications, your opportunities for advancement will be limited; however, for those who are willing to learn, there are opportunities for advancement into management, which will most likely require a degree in a sports-related science or some vocational management experience.
What qualifications do I need to work at a gym?
How to Become a Personal Trainer
- Consider completing a Certificate IV in Fitness (SIS40215), which qualifies you to work as a Personal Trainer, a Diploma of Fitness (SIS50215), or a Diploma of Sport and Recreation Management (SIS50115).
How do I start a career in fitness?
These pointers will assist you in landing a job in the fitness industry.
- Set goals.
- Think about hiring a personal trainer for yourself.
- Acquire certifications.
- Write a resume.
- Build relationships.
- 10 Yoga Jobs With Higher Income Potential and Flexible Hours.
- 6 Things to Look for in a Personal Training Career.
How do I start a gym with no money?
How to Start a Gym Without Spending Any Money
- Start small and expand later.
- Marketing should be free – you can cross-promote with other businesses by using social media (this can also include free trials or passes for some or all of your services)
Can fitness be a career?
Or maybe not. Fitness jobs are in high demand across the health-care industry, which means you can build a lucrative career for yourself. The health-care industry is expected to grow by 18% by 2026, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
What skills do you need to be a gym instructor?
Five Crucial Qualities for Becoming a Successful Personal Trainer
- First, there’s Emotional Intelligence and Empathy…
- Communication Skills. Communication is one of the most important skills a personal trainer can have, and it’s closely linked to EI.
- Technical Knowledge.
How old must you be to work at a gym?
If you want to work at a gym or fitness facility, you must be 18 years old, regardless of whether you want to work as a personal fitness trainer, receptionist, or salesperson.
What qualifies as a gym?
A typical gym, for some people, is a place where you focus on weight lifting and similar activities; however, gyms do not offer as many group classes as a fitness center; while personal trainers and one-on-one training sessions are available, group classes are not as common.
What jobs can you get at a gym?
Here are the key positions you should fill to round out your gym’s team.
- Sales Manager for Fitness Memberships.
- Operations Manager for Fitness Memberships.
- Group Fitness Instructors.
- Certified Personal Trainers.
- Maintenance Personnel.
- Service Technicians.
- Front Desk Staff for Fitness Memberships.
- Marketing and Outreach Manager for Fitness Memberships.
What is the healthiest job to have?
On the occasion of World Health Day, here are some of the healthiest jobs:
- Chiropractors, dentists, medical technicians, and physical therapists have the best of both worlds.
- Software Engineer.
Who is the richest personal trainer?
The World’s Wealthiest Personal Trainers
- Tony Little has a net worth of $200 million, Jane Fonda has a net worth of $120 million, Tracy Anderson has a net worth of $110 million, Billy Blanks has a net worth of $30 million, and Chuck Norris has a net worth of $26 million. Chuck Norris is best known for his role on Walker, Texas Ranger, but he has also been the face of Total Gym.
Why I quit being a personal trainer?
I left the industry for three reasons: money, disillusionment, and career advancement. These are the same reasons that thousands of other personal trainers have left: they can’t make enough money, lose faith in what they’re doing, and don’t see it as a long-term career.
Is running a gym profitable?
Increase membership revenues – If your gym’s membership is $1,000 per year, you only need 100 members to turn over $100,000 in annual revenue; however, adding one new member every week brings annual revenues to $152,000.
Why do gyms fail?
u201cApart from being undercapitalized, the most common reason we see for health club failure is a lack of business know-how and proper implementation of sales and marketing strategies,u201d Thomas explains. u201cAnother common misconception among new gym owners is that the gym will sell itself.u201d
Is gym a profitable business?
If you have invested around Rs 70 lakhs in the gym establishment, you can easily generate around Rs 17 lakhs in annual profit after deducting the cost of utilities, marketing, rentals, and salary from the income.