Why Is It So Hard to Find a Job? (+ 5 Tips)
It can be difficult to find work these days, and millions of other people are having the same problems. Once you understand why it’s so difficult, you can take steps to improve your chances.
Why is it so hard to find a job?
As a result, the job market may not be as open as it appears at first glance. Read our experts’ advice on the US job market and COVID-19.
Why many candidates can’t find a job
A typical job opening receives nearly 250 resumes, with only 4 to 6 candidates being called for an interview. Here are some other reasons why finding a job is so difficult.
1. Companies are overly selective
Employers are no longer as loyal to their employees as they once were, and they now expect a quick return on their hiring investment, leading them to be more selective in who they hire. They want to know that you can add value to the company right away.
2. Enter the Applicant Tracking Systems
An applicant tracking system, or ATS, is a tool used by over 90% of employers, and for many workers, it can be a real barrier to finding work. Job seekers who aren’t familiar with how an ATS screens a resume may have a difficult time finding work.
3. A reliance on outdated resumes
Many job seekers’ problems are as simple as their resumes: successful candidates will have resumes that effectively showcase their value as employees, and employers are looking for resumes that stand out from the crowd, so old, outdated resumes aren’t the best option.
Finding a job: How to improve your odds
The good news is that the job search process doesn’t have to be an excruciating experience. There are many things you can do to improve your chances of landing a job, most of which are focused on just a few key areas of concern.
1. Focus on your resume!
If your resume is mediocre at best, you won’t have much luck landing your dream job. Get a head start on improving your resume by reading this post, which includes an ATS Resume Test: Free ATS Checker and Formatting Examples.
2. Use keywords wisely
Remember those ATS screeners we mentioned earlier? Do yourself a favor and learn how to use keywords in your cover letters and resumes to help you get past the machine and onto the desk of a hiring manager.
3. Write your resume for an ATS scan
Zipjob offers a free resume review tool that will provide you with the results of an ATS scan as well as an expert’s opinion. Join the over 1 million people who have already received a complimentary resume review and find out how your resume compares in 48 hours.
4. Apply for the right jobs
Most hiring managers only spend a few minutes on an initial examination of your resume, so concentrate your search on jobs that are looking for people with your skills. Read more tips on How To Find A Job Fast.
5. Network, network, network!
Utilize your network of associates and contacts to get your foot in the door and in front of employers. Read our guide to sending a cold email (with examples).
You can find that job you deserve with the right resume and job search strategy; the key is to recognize the obstacles you face and take proactive steps to overcome them. Finding a job doesn’t have to be a painful ordeal; it can be a positive experience.
How do I get an IT job with no experience?
7 Steps to Getting Into IT If You Don’t Have Any
- Get Industry Certifications.
- Your Degree in Another Field May Be a Huge Asset.
- Be Open to Starting at the Bottom.
- Don’t Forget the Power of Networking.
- Teach Yourself Relevant Tech Skills.
- Look for Crossover Positions.
- We can help you open the door to an IT career!
Is it hard to be an IT technician?
The work itself is usually not difficult, but it can be stressful if you are overworked and rushing to complete tasks. There is also the customer service aspect of it, which can be difficult to explain to people who are unfamiliar with computers, but that part gets easier with experience.
Why is it difficult to get a job?
As a candidate, you can help because if you effectively present your value, there will almost certainly be a job for you. Change, as they say, is the only constant, and the market variables influencing job search activity have changed dramatically in the last two years.
What is a good entry level IT job?
A Step-by-Step Guide to Landing 8 of the Best Entry-Level IT Positions
- Many tech workers started their careers as help desk analysts.
- PC technician.
- Computer operator.
- Software developer.
- Technical writer.
- Front-end web developer.
- Quality assurance (QA) analyst.
- Database administrator (DBA)
What is the easiest tech job?
1. Software Developer. Software developers are in high demand because it is a growing, well-paying field with a positive job outlook and a moderately low barrier to entry. While many large companies require an academic degree, software developers can still do well without one.
What are the easiest jobs to get with no experience?
Take a look at our top picks and start filling out those applications, no matter how brief your resume is.
- Medical Assistant.
- Administrative Assistant.
- Veterinary Assistant.
- Customer Care Specialist.
- Legal Assistant.
HOW MUCH DO IT techs make a year?
Computer or repair technicians earn an average of $26.57 per hour, with monthly salaries ranging from $2,529 to $7,169, and an annual salary of $55,260 to $86,034 on average.
Is being a technician worth it?
Most people who become mechanics do so because they already know cars and have some experience working on them on their own. Becoming a mechanic is well worth the effort, and you can earn good money doing it, but if you don’t plan on doing it for a living, stick to your own car repairs.
How do you become a IT tech?
What steps do I need to take to become an IT technician?
- Gain relevant experience.
- Earn tech-related certifications.
- Prove your interpersonal and communication skills.
- Build your resume.
- Look for local IT technician positions.
How do I get a job in 2020?
Your search for a more fulfilling job can begin right now.
- Determine the career story you want to tell.
- Focus more on networking than tweaking your ru00e9sumu00e9.
- Make a list of companies you want to work for.
- Use scheduling to make the job search a priority.
How can I make money if I can’t find a job?
- 1- Take online surveys. 2- Get money from Class Action Lawsuits. 3- Sell old books. 4- Get paid to test websites.
- Making money offline without work. 27- Become a ghost shopper. 28- Street perform (Busking) 29- Be a dog walker. 30- Take and sell stock photos.
What jobs are hard to get?
The 10 Most Difficult Jobs to Fill in 2017
- According to CareerCast, Data Scientist is the most difficult position to fill in 2017.
- Financial Advisor.
- General and Operations Manager.
- Home Health Aide.
- Information Security Analyst.
- Medical Services Manager.
- Physical Therapist.
- Registered Nurse.
How much does entry-level IT job pay?
Salary for an IT Specialist at the Entry Level
|Annual Salary||Monthly Pay|
What is considered entry-level salary?
What is the average entry-level salary in the United States? According to Glassdoor, the average entry-level job salary in the United States is $28,000, but that doesn’t mean that’ll be your first post-college salary.
Where do I start it career?
In eight easy steps, you can begin your IT career:
- Create a short list of roles and positions.
- Learn to code.
- Work on an open-source project.
- Enroll in education.
- Network with IT professionals.
- Freelance for experience.