What does a construction worker do?
A construction worker is a manual labor professional who is responsible for preparing equipment, operating machinery, and erecting structures. They follow clients’ instructions by using blueprints to determine the type of structure, required rooms, and spaces, among other tasks.
A construction worker’s average hourly wage is $15.08, but you may be able to negotiate a higher wage if you have more experience; salaries can range from $7.25 to $33.30 per hour, depending on the industry and location.
Employers train these professionals on the job rather than requiring them to have a high school diploma, so construction workers can take classes in woodshop and welding while still in high school to improve their skills for the job they will be applying for.
Some people choose to complete apprenticeships to further their education and develop more specialized skills. Apprenticeships are typically two to four years long and combine classroom instruction with on-the-job experience. Students learn a variety of topics, including how to use tools and read blueprints.
Employers may require employees to pass an industry-specific certification. For example, the OSHA Construction Certificate tests a candidate’s knowledge of hazard recognition, how to file a complaint, and when to do so. The National Association of Safety Professionals Certifications provide more in-depth policies that keep labor professionals safe on the job.
To do a good job, a construction worker will need a variety of skills. Many construction crews work on a jobsite with little instruction, so they must learn how to follow their employer’s orders on their own.
Construction worker work environment
Construction workers work on a variety of projects, including those for businesses, schools, and private homes; they typically work full-time hours and may work overtime if a project must be completed on time; they may stand, walk, crawl, or squat for long periods of time.
How to become a construction worker
Candidates can earn a secondary education or complete an apprenticeship before applying for a job in the construction industry. OSHA certification can provide safety knowledge to entry-level candidates new to the industry, and they can also take certifications to prepare themselves for the duties of the work sites.
Construction worker job description example
Crater Construction is looking for a construction worker to work 40 hours per week. The candidate must be physically fit, able to stand for long periods of time and lift 100 pounds, as well as have excellent communication and math skills, which we require on a daily basis. We prefer someone who has completed an apprenticeship, but we are willing to train the right person.
How do I get a construction job with no experience?
These entry-level construction jobs are just that u2013 opportunities to get into the trades and start a long-term career if you so desire.
- Show up on time.
- Be clear about your goals.
- Work hard.
- Be patient.
- Don’t let yourself down.
- Take care of yourself.
- Enjoy every day.
How do I get a job in construction?
What are the steps to becoming a construction worker?
- Candidates typically need a high school diploma or GED before applying to work as a construction worker.
- Complete an apprenticeship.
- Obtain OSHA certification.
- Obtain specialty certifications.
- Improve their resume.
What qualifications do I need to work in construction?
To work on a construction site, you must have the following qualifications: For the blue card, you must have:
- Pass the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test.
- Pass the CPCS Theory Test.
- Pass the CPCS Practical Test.
- Do an SVQ or NVQ in the category you’re applying for.
Is it hard to get into construction?
Although some occupations make it difficult for people without work experience to get hired, this is typically not the case in the construction industry, where many employers are willing to hire workers for entry-level positions.
What is the easiest trade job?
5 High-Paying Trade Jobs That Do Not Require Student Loans
- Wind Turbine Technicians are the fastest-growing occupation in the United States, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Plus, working on wind turbines means you’re contributing to a valuable source of renewable energy.
- Elevator Mechanics.
- Industrial Maintenance Mechanics.
- HVACR Technicians.
How can I make the most money in construction?
5 Ways to Increase the Profitability of Your Next Construction Job
- Get better at bidding on jobs. Bidding on jobs takes time, but it’s important.
- Get the most out of your crew. Running an efficient team doesn’t mean you have to be a tyrant all of the time.
- Consider the total cost of tools and equipment, not just the purchase price.
What is the highest paid construction job?
1. Elevator Installers and Repairers. In addition to elevators, escalators, moving walkways, and other lifts for people and products, elevator installation and repair workers earn the highest pay in the construction and extraction occupations, earning over $20,000 per year.
Does construction pay well?
We’ve compiled a list of the eight best paying construction jobs based on salary data from the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics to help you find opportunities that might be a good fit.
Is construction a good career?
Construction jobs offer job security, opportunities for advancement, a great working culture, and higher pay, in addition to being in high demand right now.
What is a career in construction?
People interested in a construction career can choose from a variety of trades and occupations, including management positions. Skilled construction workers assist in the construction of office buildings, homes, schools, roads, bridges, factories, and other structures.
What is the hardest construction trade?
The 5 Most Difficult Construction Jobs
- Roofers. Because everyone needs a roof and they don’t last very long, depending on the material, there is usually a good market for roofers.
- Carpentry. Carpentry is a physically demanding and highly variable job.
- Ironworkers. Ironworkers, like carpenters, keep a mix of complication and hard work.
Is construction a stable job?
Construction is one of the most volatile industries due to economic fluctuations, but the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) predicts that job growth in the construction industry will be stable from 2010 to 2020.
How long does it take to learn construction?
I’d say you could master all aspects of building your own house by yourself in as little as 4 years if you put in every waking hour of your life to it, and of course, a normal person with a normal life could easily take as long as 15 years, but I’d say I was 100% capable after 6 years, though the majority of that was spent as a housewife.