How do you interact with an autistic child?
Communication and interaction tips for ASD
- Be patient.
- Teach the child how to express anger without being too aggressive.
- Be persistent but resilient.
- Always stay positive.
- Ignore irritating attention-getting behavior.
- Interact through physical activity.
- Be affectionate and respectful.
- Show your love and interest.
What to know when working with autistic children?
Teaching Tips for Children and Adults with Autism
- Many people with autism are visual thinkers.
- Avoid long strings of verbal instructions.
- Many children with autism are good at drawing, art and computer programming.
- Many autistic children get fixated on one subject such as trains or maps.
- Use concrete visual methods to teach number concepts.
How do you teach a child with autism?
Teaching Children with Autism –
How do you calm down an autistic child?
What to do during a very loud, very public meltdown
- Be empathetic. Empathy means listening and acknowledging their struggle without judgment.
- Make them feel safe and loved.
- Eliminate punishments.
- Focus on your child, not staring bystanders.
- Break out your sensory toolkit.
- Teach them coping strategies once they’re calm.