Why Your Bachelor’s Degree Won’t Get You a Job
I’m sorry to burst your bubble, but it’s for your own good. You might recognize it as the glimmer of hope that hangs over your fact-crammed head like the North Star, or the mantra of positivity you repeat to yourself when you have three exams in one week.
A bachelor’s degree is still required for most jobs in the United States, but it doesn’t guarantee you a job. A degree says you’re good at taking tests and learning required materials, but it says nothing about your judgment.
Is it hard to get a job with a bachelor’s degree?
Most jobs still require a bachelor’s degree, making it a valuable step in preparing for almost any career; however, a bachelor’s degree doesn’t make your resume stand out to potential employers like it did 50 years ago. A bachelor’s degree isn’t an automatic pass to adulthood.
Why is it so hard to get a job with a college degree?
Tuition prices have increased as well, but this hasn’t deterred many high school graduates from enrolling in college; instead, the sheer amount of competition is the primary reason why graduates are having difficulty finding work.
What if I can’t find a job with my degree?
What Should I Do If I Can’t Find Work In My Field?
- Improve your interview skills.
- Talk to friends and network.
- Take a closer look at your resume.
- Take a closer look at your cover letters/emails you’re sending.
- Make sure the jobs you’re applying for fit your experience and skills.
Why are entry level jobs so hard to get?
There is one main reason why entry level jobs are so difficult to come by, and it has to do with an influx of applications. Many people apply for entry level jobs because they are technically qualified, which means hiring managers often receive dozens of applications for a single position.
Are bachelor degrees useless?
Nearly 60% of all jobs in the United States now require a higher education, and your new bachelor’s degree is becoming increasingly worthless as more people graduate from college, with jobs that previously required only a bachelor’s degree now preferring master’s degrees.
What is the hardest degree to get?
The Top 10 Difficult Majors according to CollegeVine
- Chemistry has an average GPA of 2.9. Chemical Engineering has an average GPA of 3.2.
- Electrical Engineering has an average GPA of 3.3.
- Physics has an average GPA of 3.1.
- Architecture has an average GPA of 3.3.
- Nursing has an average GPA of 3.2.
- Cellular and Molecular Biology has an average GPA of 3.2.
What is the highest paying job with a bachelor degree?
With a bachelor’s degree, you can get 20 of the highest-paying jobs.
- Information security analyst.
- Finance manager.
- Construction superintendent.
- Materials engineer.
- Database administrator
Is a Bachelor’s Degree good?
Some argue that too many degrees are flooding the market, while others argue that technological advancements and obsolescence make academic degrees less valuable in some fields. However, neither of these assessments is accurate; in reality, a bachelor’s degree still has a high value for both professional and personal goals.
Are degrees worth it anymore?
The study found that college graduates have higher rates of employment and income, with 80% of bachelor’s degree holders working full-time compared to only half of their peers who started but did not finish college.
How do you get a job with a degree but no experience?
How to Get an Entry-Level Job if You Don’t Have Any
- Tell Your Story in the Cover Letter.
- Explain the “Why” on Your Resume.
- Don’t Undersell Your Experience.
- Tailor Your Resume to the Job Description.
- Research the Company and the People.
- Prepare for the Interview.
How can I make money if I can’t find a job?
- 1- Take online surveys. 2- Get money from Class Action Lawsuits. 3- Sell old books. 4- Get paid to test websites.
- Making money offline without work. 27- Become a ghost shopper. 28- Street perform (Busking) 29- Be a dog walker. 30- Take and sell stock photos.
Can not find a job after graduation?
If you don’t have a job by graduation day, don’t be discouraged; stay positive and keep looking. One way to stay positive is to remind yourself how far you’ve already come u2013 just like the challenges you faced in school, you’ll overcome being unemployed.
How hard is it to get an entry level IT job?
It varies by field, but if you have the required education or experience, it shouldn’t be too difficult. For example, if you’re looking for a computer-related job, such as a help desk, having A certification, or equivalent experience, may be sufficient; ideally, you can get a job and have your employer pay for your degree.
Why is it so hard to find a job these days?
Because there are fewer jobs and more people looking for them, employers can search for the best of the best. You’ll have to submit more job applications than ever before just to get a response, and it will likely take you longer to find work.
What percentage of college students get a job after they graduate?
It is a common misconception that if you have a college diploma, you will have a job; however, approximately 53% of college graduates are unemployed or working in jobs that do not require a bachelor’s degree, and it takes the average college graduate three to six months to find work after graduation.