How to Get a Part Time Job at University
Part-time jobs are a great way for students to earn extra money while also gaining experience, but there is a lot of competition in the part-time job market right now. Here are a few tips to help you succeed in your initial application and interview to land that part-time job.
1. Make your CV stand out
Consider the layout, font choice, and use of blank space on the page to optimize the viewing experience, especially when applying for part-time jobs. Highlight your customer service skills in either your key skills area or personal statement.
2. Put some research into your cover letter
Always include a cover letter with your application; it’s a great way to go into more detail about any previous experience you have, and it shows that you’ve read the advertisement thoroughly. If you can address the letter to the HR manager/manager of the company you’re applying for, do so.
3. Find out about the company you are interviewing for
“Why do you want to work for this company?” will most likely be one of the first questions you’ll be asked.
4. Be honest in the job interview
Because many tourist attractions are notoriously busy during periods such as Easter/Spring Break, it’s important to be honest about your availability in the initial interview as a student. If you live away from home and plan to return once a month, it’s also time to mention that.
5. Ask questions
You can inquire about the team you’ll be working for and what a typical working day entails. Do you get a uniform allowance or is one provided? It’s important to know this information before leaving the interview to ensure you’re on top of your game.
6. Showcase that you can work well in a team
Use it as an opportunity to demonstrate your teamwork skills, patience, and cooperation, and show the employer why you’re the right fit for them by demonstrating your work experience and application to back up everything on your CV.
What are the best part-time jobs for college students?
- Dorm Receptionist/Security Monitor.
- Campus Tour Guide.
- Research Assistant.
- Research Study Participant.
- Resident Advisor in the Dorms.
- Cafeteria Worker.
- Research Study Participant.
What are the best jobs to get while in college?
College Students’ Best Jobs
- Dental Receptionist.
- (tie) Orderly.
- (tie) Bank Teller.
- (tie) Tax Preparer.
- (tie) Tutor.
How do I get a job while in college?
Part-time jobs are available on and off campus for college students.
- CareerRookie is a job and internship search site designed specifically for students and recent graduates, and is a division of CareerBuilder, the largest online career website in the United States.
- College Central.
- College Helpers.
- My First Paycheck.
How many hours should a college student work at a job?
Working while in college has benefits beyond the obvious financial ones, and there’s good evidence that juggling a job while pursuing your degree can actually boost your GPA. Here’s what you need to know.
Which job is best for part-time?
Part-time jobs that pay well
- Bartender. Average Salary: 16,388 per month.
- Bank teller. Average Salary: 17,834 per month.
- Tour guide. Average Salary: 18,625 per month.
- Personal driver. Average Salary: 15,566 per month.
- Phlebotomist. Average Salary: 14,741 per month.
What jobs pay well for college students?
Students can work part-time jobs that pay well.
- Tutor u2014 $17.54/hour.
- Library Assistant/Circulation Clerk u2014 $12.81/hour.
- Transcriber u2014 $15.19/hour.
- Bank Teller u2014 $11.69/hour.
- Casino Dealer/Server u2014 $8.27/hour.
- Bartender u2014 $7.83/hour.
What is the best job for money?
Prepare to be matched!
- Surgeon. #2 in Best Paying Jobs.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon. #3 in Best Paying Jobs.
- Obstetrician and Gynecologist. #4 in Best Paying Jobs.
- Orthodontist. #5 in Best Paying Jobs.
- Prosthodontist. #6 in Best Paying Jobs.
What stores pay the most?
What is the most profitable grocery store?
- Costco and Whole Foods Market have the highest minimum wage at $15.00 per hour. Target’s minimum wage is $13.00 per hour and will increase to $15.00 per hour by the end of 2020. Trader Joes’ minimum wage is $12.03 per hour. Walmart’s minimum wage is $11.00 per hour.
What jobs are good for students?
There are eight part-time jobs for students that pay well.
- Brand representative.
- Deliveroo driver.
- Mystery shopper.
- Doing odd job apps tasks.
- Market research.
- Babysitting or assisting the elderly.
Why is it so hard to find a job as a college student?
Class sizes are steadily increasing, as are tuition prices, but this does not deter many high school graduates from enrolling in college. As a result of this significant increase, the primary reason why graduates have difficulty finding work is the sheer amount of competition.
Is it good for students to have part-time jobs?
Part-time work can help students develop a healthy sense of competition, as well as teach them responsibility and allow them to put skills learned in school into practice. However, they should make sure that their part-time work does not interfere with their studies.
Is 20 hours a week too much for a student?
Working more than 20 hours per week during the school year, according to researchers from the University of Washington, the University of Virginia, and Temple University, leads to academic and behavioral problems.
Can I work 20 hours a week in college?
It’s completely doable; you just have to get really good at time management and accept that you’ll have to sacrifice some free time, time with friends, and other things from time to time.
How many college students have a job?
In 2018, the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who were employed (43%) was lower than in 2000 (53%) and the percentage of part-time undergraduate students who were employed (81%) was lower than in 2000 (85%).