UAV / Drone Jobs | Build a Career in the Drone Industry
This page contains information on the various sorts of drone pilot jobs available, industries that use drones in their work, compensation and salary examples, and actual job advertisements. To navigate, utilize the right-hand sidebar, or use this menu to jump to your desired section.
How much does a drone pilot get paid?
In California, the average compensation for a Drone Pilot is $67,927 per year and $33 per hour. A Drone Pilot’s typical compensation ranges from $48,234 to $84,030 per year. A Drone Pilot’s greatest degree of schooling is typically an Associate Degree.
How do I get a job in the drone industry?
- Possess an FAA-certified Part 107 pilot’s license (required)
- Have a certificate from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) as a certified pilot (not required, but preferred)
- Have drone operation experience — if you’re a builder with hands-on expertise with drone systems, that’s a plus.
- I don’t mind being exposed to the elements.
What jobs can you get flying drones?
Here’s a breakdown of the most in-demand drone careers.
- Photographer and videographer using a drone.
- A surveyor who specializes in agriculture.
- 3D modeler for drones.
- Inspector of power lines
- Inspector on the roof.
- A member of a search and rescue team.
- Instructor for drone flight.
How do I become a professional drone pilot?
To become a pilot, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be at least 16 years old to participate.
- To be able to read, talk, write, and understand English, you must be able to read, speak, and write it.
- To safely fly a drone, you must be in good physical and mental shape.
- Obtain a passing score on the basic aeronautical knowledge exam.
Are drone pilots in demand?
Pilots for drones are in high demand. According to the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, more than 100,000 new jobs in unmanned aircraft will be produced by 2025. Drone operators must obtain a waiver to fly their drones over people or at night, according to existing legislation.
Can I make money with my drone?
Selling aerial photos and movies to consumers is one of the most prevalent ways to generate money with drones. Drone photography may be a lucrative business, and it is becoming increasingly popular. On the other side, you can commission custom aerial footage and photography.
How much does drone license cost?
What Does It Cost to Obtain an FAA Drone License? The Part 107 exam must be taken at an FAA-approved testing center in person. The testing price is $173 and must be paid directly to the testing location where your test is scheduled. The exam fee is $109 if the testing center is owned by PSI.
How much should I charge for drone footage?
Drone photography services do not have a set price. Drone operators can charge anywhere from $200 per hour to $5,000 per session for services ranging from real estate photography to construction assessment.
Are drones worth buying?
A drone may be worth your time and money if you want to improve your images and/or videos, are seeking for creative methods to streamline your business, or are just looking for a fun weekend project. The decision to buy your own drone, especially if you’re on a budget, might be tricky.
Can you fly drones without a license?
You do not require a license, but you do have legal obligations. Drone laws and regulations differ based on the type of drone and the location where it will be flown.
Can you fly drones at night?
The commercial drone area is governed by Part 107 rules. The FAA based these prohibitions on the manned private pilot regulations Part 61 and Part 91, which ban flying without special training and instrumentation at night.
How hard is it to get a drone license?
The permit test for flying a drone is much more demanding than the normal driver’s license test in the United States. The drone industry is becoming a reality. 29th of August, 2016 This story has been around for more than two years. This isn’t your typical driver’s license exam—quite it’s challenging, and there are currently no driver’s ed lessons for drones.
How much money do drone operators make?
The starting salary appears to be between $62K and $70K. Jobs for “UAV Operator” were largely in the military and government, with an average income of $33k to $40k.
Who needs a FAA drone license?
You must be at least 16 years old. To be able to read, write, understand, and speak English, you must be able to read, write, and understand it. To fly a drone, you must be physically and psychologically fit. After completing a 60-question multiple-choice exam, submit your application to the FAA.
What skills do you need to be a drone pilot?
Characteristics of a Successful Commercial Drone Pilot
- Dedicated to the smallest of details. A commercial drone pilot must be meticulous in his or her work.
- Socially assured. Drone pilots are frequently contacted by members of the public who inquire about their gear, how to fly, and what they are doing.
- Calm and collected are two words that come to mind when I think of you.
- Involved with zeal.